Citing rising demand for vegan sauces, Tesco has introduced what it says is the UK’s first plant-based condiment range under its Wicked Kitchen label.
- The new sauces are part of the supermarket’s own Wicked Kitchen range and comprises six variants:
- Dreamy Beetroot Dressing – a Thai-inspired recipe with coconut and lime
- Mazin’ Mango Sauce – a sweet, fruity sauce incorporating turmeric root, lime and a kick of chilli
- Hella’ Horseradish and Mustard Sauce – described as punchy mustard with a hint of turmeric
- Sriracha Sauce – made with fiery birds eye chillies and garlic this has a touch of sweetness
- Sticky Teriyaki Sauce – a sticky and sweet soya ginger BBQ sauce
- Asian Style BBQ Sauce – with a ginger and five spice kick
“Plant-based/vegan food is the biggest culinary movement this century and finding a good choice of complementary sauces as part of a high street shop has not been that easy,” says the supermarket’s director of plant-based innovation, Derek Sarno, who created the Wicked Kitchen range.
“Now we’ve helped the growing need of plant-based food shoppers and those looking to reduce eating animals by creating an easy to use ‘kitchen toolbox’ of a recognizable range of unique, vegan amazing sauces.
“They will add that element of wicked excitement for all food-lovers looking to liven up their home-cooked dishes and help make choosing to eat more plant-based easier than ever!”
The new condiments are part of a wider plant-based food launch in the multiple, comprising 30 further products including wraps, seasonings and dressings.